Thursday 26 April 2012

A Thing About Stripes


There are many of them and they are so soft and warm. Once again I have made a large scarf with stripes. This time in alpaca.

As I started out I planned to use only three colors: Turquoise, magenta and yellowgreen. After a while it got really boring and I added some other colors just to spark it up. Knitting has to be fun - no matter what.

You can see it on the photo above: I started from the left with magenta and turquoise.

Then some yellowgreen and some orange. There were no way back - more colors as bright as possible.

It did not take long before I was in this stripy business of getting the most out of the colors.

The scarf is not as bright as the Stash And Stripes - there are simply not that many bright colors in the yarn I chose.

And it is a bit shorter. That makes it fine to put inside a jacket. After blocking it was even more soft and lovely.

I never thought I should love knitting stripes that much.The spit splicing really made it so much easier and better looking.

It is so fun to see what happens with the colors as they are knitted together. Most of the colors I used here, are the same I put together in my Meadow Scarf. They were already in my stash.... I added a couple more colors in my effort to get it brighter.

What can I say? I count my blessings every day. And there are a lot of them. If I start counting my stripes - I will never get finished.
My name and the year this i knitted. A really old tradition on Norway - which I think is so nice. 

The Stitch Story
Yarn: Tynn alpakka, from Du Store Alpakka
Needles: 2mm
Size: 260 x 47cm
Pattern: Improvised
Other materials: None
Ravelry link: Stripes On My Brain

22 comments:

  1. Vet du, du overrasker meg stadig! Det ene lekre sjalet etter det andre! Er egentlig ikke så veldig glad i striper, men du klarer altså å få meg til å like det :) Du må jo være en racer med pinnene, for du har jo bare brukt 2mm! Himmel, blir helt satt ut bare jeg tenker på det :) Godt jobbet!

    Ha en superfin torsdag med ditt nye sjal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tusen takk - det går jo unna når det ikke er så komplisert og når det er moro. Og angående moro - var akkurat innom din blogg og la kommentar på fisken. Og så kom din kommentar!!!! Ha en flott dag - her plask regner det og tåken legger seg. Fint strikkevær, spør du meg. He he!!

      Delete
  2. What a gorgeous scarf! Beautiful! I love that you knitted your name and date, makes it so special! I hope someone will be treasuring it in hundreds of years time, knowing when it was made and who by! Everytime I see you things I think I must do more knitting! I really must!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Cara - what a fun idea!!! Making history as we knit!!

      Delete
  3. Knallekkert! Jeg er enig, det er kjekt å strikke striper, man ser at arbeidet vokser stripe for stripe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tusen takk - ja det er gøy med striper. Alt for gøy...

      Delete
  4. Stunning! love the design and colors - you are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful stripes! Such a special touch to knit in your name & the year it was made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear Debbie - I think it is great fun to put a mark on my knitting...

      Delete
  6. This is so special and fun Lone! I love that you put your name and year on the scarf! I think we should all count our blessings everyday! Hugs ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Stacy!!! I totally agree!! On the last part that is. LOL!!

      Delete
  7. Beautiful! I'll bet it makes your neck so warm and cuddly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Herlige farger og flotte striper! Virkelig et lekkert sjal/skjerf og det inspirerer veldig til å strikke noe stripete! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wauv,du laver da også det ene lækre tørklæde/sjal efter hinanden,man bliver altid så glad når man ser dine lækre ting,så smukke farver

    ReplyDelete
  10. Å, dette ble fint!!! Jeg elsker alpakka, tror jeg må se å lage et sånt selv, jeg! Ha en fin uke!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tusen takk Anne - gleder meg til å se ditt!! Ha en strikkelig fin uke du også!!

      Delete
  11. You make the most fantastic things -- I love this scarf! I tried knitting once...even the simplest stitches were a disaster in my hands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Becca!!! Oh, but maybe you should have give it more time. You should have seen my first sweater.... LOL!!

      Delete

Thank you so much for your comment - it means a lot to me!!! Sorry about the robot words - it is due to loads of spam. Hope it is ok!!!